Sunday 25 March 2012

Cookie, Oreo, Brownie Heaven






     To me, one of the greatest things in life that we can do for others is to offer small gestures of kindness. I love doing little things for people just to try to show them that I care or that I'm thinking of them. It usually doesn't take much effort, all things considered, but it can make such a difference to someone's day. Sometimes it might be as simple as leaving a treat for a friend on their desk at school, or seeing something in a store that I know someone will like and just buying it for them for no specific reason. Sometimes it might be baking up something delicious and sharing it with friends or sending a card to a friend or family member who you know might need it.

     This weekend Terry and I were lucky enough to be the recipients of two of these small gestures. We opened our front door this morning to find two beautifully wrapped bags full of delicious chocolate peanut butter squares. It was from our neighbour Kim (who can bake up a mean treat, by the way). It just made my day as I sank down into my couch and ate pretty much an entire bag in the matter of minutes. This pregnant girl doesn't mess around. Kim, you (and your yummy desserts) are the best. Thanks!


     Then when we were at a party this weekend, hosted by our friends Jim and Brad, they (out of the blue) handed us a gift for Mya. They bought her a fabulous wooden pie set and told me that now Mya can bake along with me. How incredibly thoughtful and sweet--thanks Jim and Brad! I just love those unexpected random acts of kindness. And really...how cute is this little set??

Something else that I love about life is that there are so many opportunities to celebrate and use these little gestures of kindness to show others that you care.

It's Judy's (my mother-in-law) birthday tomorrow, so I had the family over for dinner tonight to celebrate her special day. Again, it's not like it takes millions of dollars or hours to put together a meal...but it's an important way to show someone that you care and that you're thinking of them. She regularly brings Terry, Mya and I meals throughout the week--which is BEYOND amazing and helpful to us...so this is the least that we could do for her.



Terry and I spent the morning blowing up balloons, hanging a birthday banner that Jen made (yes, handmade--she cut out all those perfect letters out of felt herself) and getting all the food ready for that night.



Sometimes a bit of effort can go a long way. And a reason to celebrate is definitely worth celebrating.





Our two mamas.

For her cake this year I decided to bake her up a dessert recipe that I had found and made once before (and absolutely LOVED). I changed it up a bit and added a touch of my own...but in the end, you get the most delicious dessert you've ever eaten. Introducing: Cookie, Oreo, Brownie Heaven (I made up the name myself...cause really, that's what it tastes like).


With a layer of chocolate chip peanut butter cookie dough on the bottom, Oreo cookies in the middle and brownie on top...here is how I made it:

1) Using a 9 by 13 pan, line it with parchment paper and spray it or butter it well.

2) Make up any batch of cookies that you like (I chose to make chocolate chip peanut butter cookies...but just choose your favourite! --if you`re not really into baking, just go buy one of those bags of cookie mixes and it`ll taste great too). Line the pan with the cookie dough.


3) Place a layer of Oreos (or any cream filled cookie) on top of the cookie dough. I had these crazy little football Oreos in my pantry, so I just used them. But use whatever cream filled cookie you love.


4) Bake up a batch of brownies (and again..use a mix if it`s easiest for you..this is not supposed to be time consuming people!). Then pour the mix over your Oreos and smooth it out with a spatula.





5) Put in oven at 350 for about 45minutes (give or take) and serve warm...with icecream on top! Helllloooooo delicious!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

My parents have loved each other for 50 yrs...so we celebrated BIG time

It wasn't my idea. Not mine at all. But hey--if you put an idea in my head, I'll roll with it. So when my dad said he wanted t...