Monday 4 November 2019

We traveled to Mexico with 6 kids--and lived to tell the tale



I still can't believe we actually did it. 

The plan was hatched long before these two tiny babies were born. Long before the sleepless nights and utter exhaustion had set in. Long before NICU stays, C-sections, paediatrician appointments and tandem nursing around the clock began. Long before finding out we had not one, but two babies with acid reflux, and where days filled up with diaper changes, rocking crying babies to sleep and keeping up with our four other kids. 

Our plan to take our family to Mexico once the twins were born actually came to fruition a few weeks ago, and in my own mother's words..."It feels now like it was just a dream". 

Six kids, all 8yrs old and under at the time. Twins who weren't even 12 weeks old yet. It was like the time we took our 4 kids to Dominican with a newborn--but you know, a million times more exhausting. 

In the wise words of our paediatrician..."You're safe and fine to take the twins and everyone to Mexico, but I think you're crazy for wanting to try to". 

Maybe he was a little bit right--but it didn't stop me one bit from trying.


It's hard to believe we were actually able to pull it off, to be honest. 

I mean, the airport and air plane alone with that amount of little people could have put us all into a tizzy--and that's just getting us there. But with a TON of planning ahead of time, a lot of research into resorts and lots of snacks and prayers, we did it. 

And I'm so glad that we did. 

We invited our family to come along with us, and my parents and Terry's mom bravely agreed, knowing full well that laying by the pool with drinks in hand actually relaxing would not be on the menu. 

But sun, sand and palm trees? Yup. 

Lots of delicious food? Definitely.

Tons of swimming and fun? You bet. 

Tired adults? For sure. 




So we spent our days at all of the pools, swimming after all the kids, while scoping out the best shaded spots for the babies and all of us everywhere we went.  

We took turns holding babies and sitting in this one particular spot by the pool that was completely and fully shaded, so the baby holder could at least have his/her feet in the water while snuggling babies and watching everyone splash around.   



And we soaked up the fact that off-season travelling meant that we had many of the pools all to ourselves each morning...
  



and first dibs on all of the water slides each afternoon. 

*insert picture of Terry on the slide graciously volunteering to take the big kids to the huge water slides each day so that Mya and Carter could have fun--thank you for the sacrifice. Thank you. 







And we danced pool side to music each day...



and snuggled babies on the beach for two seconds until mom got too sandy to nurse, and we all left cranky and hot.





But the good news about the Mexican heat is that it was always remedied with cold drinks around every corner...



and kind bartenders who took care of our every request.





But you know what I'll remember the most from this trip? The thing that I'll never forget above all, is the joy that I got to witness in others as they enjoyed our family.

I wasn't quite prepared for it, to be honest.

We could barely move from one spot to another without curious, loving strangers wanting to know all about the babies and our family. Millions of questions about how many kids we have, how old they all were, how we were managing this trip with all of them--and the most frequently asked question...are they all YOURS? We had people counting us as we walked by, snapping pictures of us on their phones and always offering a lending hand when our hands were full. We had groups of women swarming us at our dinner table, gushing over the kids and wanting to hold our babies. We had other vacationers coming up to us all day long, smiling ear to ear as they looked us over and cooed over the twins and kids. I had women pulling me aside in the pool asking me how I did it--how I was managing it all day to day at home and how I actually looked so happy doing it.

And my response was the same every single time...
"I am SO happy doing it, the happiest I've ever been...and it's the hardest thing I've ever done".




Because that, my friends, is the absolute truth.






So I'll remember this trip for all of the fun and all of the laughs and all of the exhaustion...





for all of the experiences that our kids were given...




and for all of the love that our family gave to them.





I'll remember the day that our boy turned 7yrs old that week and breakfast turned into a birthday celebration... 



followed up by drinks and presents at the sports bar, at this little 7yr olds request. 






And I'll remember the look of pure joy as our kids ran along the beach and splashed in the waves...


because those experiences, those memories that we made...in the end, made it all worth it.


And I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat...well, maybe 4yrs from now :)


'Til next time, Mexico.


'Til next time.

Erica xo


















2 comments:

  1. To Ardhanarishwara, the blissfully turing one who resides in the third eye plexus (Ajna Chakra) of each aspirant and who denotes the union of my Param Gurudeva Bhagwan Shiva and my Param Gurudevi Maa Shakti, are offered these salutions, prior this little student continues any further with the text,
    For more info visit: Self realization

    ReplyDelete
  2. MyJobsi.com is a popular and simple job board in the USA.
    MyJobsi.com aims to concentrate job postings of quality employers, institutions and corporations across the U.S. The job postings can be filtered by state, location, job categories or job title.
    Visit for more info: job posting site

    ReplyDelete

My parents have loved each other for 50 yrs...so we celebrated BIG time

It wasn't my idea. Not mine at all. But hey--if you put an idea in my head, I'll roll with it. So when my dad said he wanted t...