Friday 13 December 2013

BBQ Chicken Grilled Cheese



I was watching one of those food shows the other week and they were doing a series on all of the food trucks popping up all throughout the US. You know those trucks that pull up to the side of the road at lunch time and all of a sudden a huge line of hungry people begin to eagerly pull out their money and pay for fresh food, straight from the truck?  

Well food trucks aren't something that we see much around our neck of the woods--so I was feeling a little US food envy.

Especially when it came to the grilled cheese truck.

Who knew that you could actually make a business out of selling one of my favourite sandwiches??

So as I sat there on my couch, mouth watering, as they whipped up one gourmet grilled cheese after another, I decided that I'd try to make one of my own.

So, voila:


BBQ Chicken Grilled Cheese.

It was pretty much to die for.

And I didn't even need to make a trip to the US to get me one of these suckers.

It's ooey gooey cheesy goodness. And it was super easy to make too.

All you need is some bread and butter, two different kinds of cheese sliced up, shredded chicken smothered in bbq sauce and red onions fried up to perfection on the stove.

PLEASE try this. You won't regret it. And if you have a hubby like mine (or anyone else in your family) who loves anything bbq sauce related, they'll go nuts for these.

Here is how I made them:

1) Cut up any two kinds of your favourite cheese. *I already had cheddar and mozzarella in my fridge, so I used them.


2) Slice up some red onions, add a splash of oil to your pan and fry up your onions until they are soft and golden brown. *This pic was taken at the mid-way point, so make sure they're even more golden brown than this!


3) Butter up both sides of your bread. The thicker the bread the better--texas toast works great!


4) Cook up your chicken on the stove or in the oven (I used about 2 large chicken breasts) for about 4-5 sandwiches. Then shred them (either in your kitchen aid mixer, pictured below, or pull them apart using two forks).
  

5) Smother the chicken with bbq sauce, as much or as little as you'd like. I used a lot!

6) Start stacking!
I put a layer of cheese on the bottom, then chicken, then onions, then another layer of cheese on top.


7) Top it off with another piece of buttered bread (I even added more bbq sauce too at the end before topping it off with bread), then start frying on low in your frying pan.


THIS IS THE CRITICAL PART!!...watch it like a hawk. There are a lot of layers in that little sandwich there...so keep the heat low so that it has time to heat up the insides without burning the bread. You don't want all of your work to go to waste by burning it at this stage in the game.


8) When you can see that the cheese is starting to melt and your bread is turning golden brown, flip it over and keep watching it closely until all of the cheese has melted and you have golden brown bread on both sides.

And voila!!
The most delicious, homemade food-truck sandwich that you'll ever taste.

 
Enjoy!! And have a wonderful weekend.

Erica xo














No comments:

Post a Comment

My parents have loved each other for 50 yrs...so we celebrated BIG time

It wasn't my idea. Not mine at all. But hey--if you put an idea in my head, I'll roll with it. So when my dad said he wanted t...