Tuesday 6 August 2013

The Secret



I have been completely inspired. By one single book.

I haven't been able to put it down. My tiny book light is straining to power even a glimmer of light anymore since it's been on for such long periods of time late at night. My eyes are puffy and sore from forcing my eyelids to stay open for longer than they know they're supposed to. And I can still hear Terry's voice repeating the exact same words to me each night as we lay in bed, my fingers dog-earing the pages that move me, inspire me and make me want to come back to re-read it again.

"My love, it's time for bed...put it down".

"One more page", I say, as I quickly roll over to hide the glow of my book light. "Just one more page".

It's called The Secret by Rhonda Byrne--I'm sure you've probably heard of it before. Oprah did an entire show on it years ago and I heard people speak of it when it first came out...but I never picked up the book myself, until just now.


There haven't been many books that I've read that have really made a huge impact on me. But this one has.

It's a book about life. A book about one of the secrets of life. It's simple, really. The secret that they speak of is the Law Of Attraction. The entire book explains it in full (and much better than I could ever attempt to do here). But the idea is that whatever we think about we are essentially attracting to our lives. Our thoughts are so incredibly powerful--life changing, really.

"Everything that's coming into your life you are attracting into your life. And it's attracted to you by virtue of the images you're holding in your mind. It's what you're thinking. Whatever is going on in your mind you are attracting to you."

Powerful stuff.

It's like how on those days when your alarm clock doesn't go off, so you sleep in, and you wake up in a panic and stub your toe on the door...and everything spirals downhill from there. The book tells you to stop for a moment--change your thoughts to positive ones. Say thank you (out loud) a million times before you even leave your house in the morning (to get your thoughts focused on all of the wonderful things that you're grateful for already in your life), and things will turn around for you--you will start to attract good things to you for the rest of the day. Keep your mind on negative thoughts? You'll attract even more negative things to you.

"Man becomes what he thinks about".

"If you see it in your mind, you're going to hold it in your hand...If you can think about what you want in your mind, and make that your dominant thought {and believe that you already have it, FEEL that you already have it and believe that you already have it}, you will bring it into your life...Thoughts become things".

Your thoughts create your life.

Have you ever noticed that if you feel sick or have pain, that if you talk about it or think about it a lot it just keeps getting worse? Your thoughts are powerful. Whatever you focus on will become reality. Good or bad. Switch your thoughts to positive ones and amazing things will start to happen.

BE happy.  You will then become a magnet for even more happiness.

BE unhappy. You will then become a magnet for even more unhappiness.

"A person who sets his or her mind on the dark side of life, who lives over and over the misfortunes and disappointments of the past [will end up attracting even more] misfortunes and disappointments in the future. If you see nothing but ill luck in the future...you will surely get it".

I have written and deleted at least three paragraphs at this point, trying to explain it...trying to get it right. Trying to not miss something. But if it took an entire book to explain it completely, one little blog post certainly can't do it justice.

Reading it yourself is really the only way to understand it fully.

As I was reading this book I just GOT it. I understood it. I believed it. I always have believed it. My dad has always said that whatever you think or say to yourself will become reality. As I just wrote in my last post, he had told me before I even had a spouse to "Wake up every morning and tell yourself that you love your spouse and want to be with him--whatever you say and think will become reality".



We ultimately have the power to create our life to be whatever we want it to be. No one else can do it for us. No one else can make us happy. Your thoughts determine and control your life. So choose them wisely.

 Has anyone else ever read this book? What did you think?


Erica xo















No comments:

Post a Comment

My parents have loved each other for 50 yrs...so we celebrated BIG time

It wasn't my idea. Not mine at all. But hey--if you put an idea in my head, I'll roll with it. So when my dad said he wanted t...