Tuesday 23 October 2012

Dr Seuss Birthday Party

   




     The great thing about life is that it keeps moving forward by giving us a fresh new day each and every day, even if you're not necessarily ready for it. It's not a bad thing though, since it keeps the focus on the good, the great, the important stuff...instead of allowing you to sit in the negative and get stuck. Getting stuck just isn't an option here. So the day after we got home from the hospital, I pulled up my boots, put a smile on my face and kept moving forward, even though my mind was still left behind a bit in the NICU--because if you look hard enough, there is always so much good to look forward to.

Our little Oliver turned 1 two days after Carter was born. And a celebration was definitely in order.


     In the whirlwind of our NICU stay and then finally getting discharged and being able to bring our little man home, my mind was also racing with Oliver's big Dr Seuss party which I knew was only days away. No time to waste.



     The day after we got home from the hospital, I woke up early and started baking. I was determined to follow through on my promise of making my little nephew's birthday cake, and although Jen tried to convince me that buying a slab cake would be just fine...I disagreed, wholeheartedly.





And I made a cute little smash cake for the birthday boy to dig into as well of course.





     Knowing that my due date was so close to Oliver's birthday, Jen and I had been planning this party for months ahead of time. We spent countless nights cutting, pasting and making all of the little food tags, birthday banner, cupcake toppers and all of the other fine details of the party (and we even found the perfect Dr Seuss font online to boot!). Mom, Jen and I baked up tons of delicious goodies ahead of time, froze them and then pulled them out the day of the party--every fine detail planned out so that it wasn't a huge rush days after Carter was born. So with our sweet little boy tucked perfectly in my arms, only a week old, we welcomed friends and family to celebrate our little Oliver's first year.

    To our sweet little Oliver, Happy 1st Birthday. We love love love you, oh so much.




Since pictures can sometimes tell an even better story than words, here is his Dr Seuss party in a nutshell.















Amazing what you can find on Kijiji for free...this little photo spot provided great entertainment







And a Dr Seuss book all of a sudden becomes a great birthday memory book for Oliver as everyone wrote a little message to the birthday boy. One day he'll be able to look back and read about all of the people who love him and who came to his 1st birthday party.








 Party favours--Chinese red envelopes with chocolate coins inside


...and little homemade colouring books for the kids.



Happy birthday sweet Oliver!



No comments:

Post a Comment

My parents have loved each other for 50 yrs...so we celebrated BIG time

It wasn't my idea. Not mine at all. But hey--if you put an idea in my head, I'll roll with it. So when my dad said he wanted t...